what wouldbe the most blind friendly distribution of linux

Krishnakant Mane krmane at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 16:43:42 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 04 August 2010 09:25 PM, Kyle wrote:
> AFAIK, Voxin sounds exactly like ViaVoice, Elloquence, IBMTTS, TTSynth
> and all the others that are just different names for the same old mess
> that JAWS is still using. To me they all sound the same: very robotic
> and like they have something in their mouths while speaking. My vote
> is for eSpeak, which is at present the best free as in speech and beer
> synth available, although I'm sure the dev would certainly appreciate
> a donation in the amount you were willing to spend on Voxin. It does
> have a British accent by default, and the US English voice has a
> rather funny accent as well, but the consonants and even the vowels
> are rendered much more clearly than the old ViaVoice-based synths of
> the past, not to mention the fact that eSpeak is still being
> maintained upstream, whereas the synthesizer licensed by Voxin hasn't
> been maintained upstream for at least 5 years and requires legacy
> compatibility libraries which could easily break with the next release
> of your favorite distro.

+1 on espeak being the best synth.
clearity wise, I like the pronounciation.

I think there is a lot of scope for improving the voice quality, but
clearity is amaising.
Infact I frankly did not like the voice of eloquance.
A note to those who feel espeak is not sounding good, just try changing
the speaker.

all that can be done now is to make the inflection better and voice
quality can be made a *bit* more human like.
Else the voice in espeak never irritated me and I can hear it for a long
time.
Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.