Looking for a CD Burner in Debian

Christopher Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Fri Dec 3 13:14:20 UTC 2010

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel at shellworld.net> writes:

> Can sox save to ogg file type?  The ogg format can save space though I
> don't remember if it's lossless or not.  If it isn't, it's best used
> for speech rather than music.

Sure it can save to .ogg.  However, if you want finer control of the
encoding parameters (bitrate, quality, et cetera), your best bet is to
use another utility.

Yes, OGG/Vorbis is a lossy encoding.  There's also OGG/FLAC, which is
lossless.  Personally, I cannot hear the difference between lossless
audio and a lossy codec at high bitrates.  I tend to encode music at 128
or 256 kbits/second, and that has always been quite acceptable to me.
Does anyone else notice a difference between lossless and
high-bitrate-lossy, or is my hearing worse than I think it is?

-- Chris