Problem with Media Files in Linux's Windows Portion

RiverWind riverwind at shellworld.net
Tue Dec 28 11:00:04 UTC 2010

Greetings,

I assume you mean that allowing media users to rely upon a point
and click format isn't going to help them learn Linux any faster.
If that is at least a part of your argument, you are undeniably
quite right. I say this most emphatically, because now that there
is an inexplicable sticking point having to do with the Windows
portion of the Linux system, I am more-or-less dead in the water.
By the way, I installed "mpg123", and it works great for the
playing of files when ran from the command line.

However, there is one reason why a point and click format is
essential. The names of audio book files are duced long and
convoluted. For instance, in order to play one of these books on
the command line, one must first unzip the archive. Many of these
books are formatted for disk. Consequently, you will have many
files uncompressed into your active directory. A file name will
perforce reflect the author's name, the title of the book, specific
disks and track number before the dot-file extension. Moreover,
most of these file names have spaces which the command line doesn't
like. Those spaces have to be filled in with question marks. In
order to play these files then, one must laboriously type in mpg123
followed by this excruciatingly long file name. For instance a file
name might look precisely like this:

"Neil Gaiman - American Gods_06-02.mp3"

If one wants to read this book via the Window's facilities, they
would only need to click on the zip file, place their cursor on the
desired mp3 file and hit enter. I do not know of any abbreviated
processes whereby this same operation can be accomplished whilst in
terminal mode.

Bright Blessings,
RiverWind

Feel free to visit my website and my blog and learn more about me
and what I stand for.
My Website @ http://riverwind.shellworld.net
My Blog http://windraven13.livejournal.com/