Linux GUI FAQ/tutorial?

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Tue Feb 9 02:57:40 UTC 2010

Actually no, neither vi nor vim were or are line editors.  They're visual
editors working on the wysiwig principle.  The line editor at the base of
both vi and vim though is ex and those that can use ex have the full power
of the software at their disposal.  That's not my opinion either.  Anyone
want to argue with that information had best contact the people over at
Berkeley University who put the learn utility together and argue with
them.  Unfortunately that learn utility doesn't work in Linux.  That for
newbies really would be an informative resource and a safe one since all
work is done inside of a sandbox.  Only way I had contact with it was
through my employer several years ago on a bSD unix system I was able to
use.  The thing about the learn utility is it does computer assisted
instruction with the user in a sandbox and it's a command line