Recording with Rec?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed Feb 10 10:44:08 UTC 2010

I have some questions for you.  First, is the audio that you want to
record primarily online streams or do you want to record with an
external source?  If you want to use a microphone or similar, I don't
know what to suggest.  However, if it's mostly streams you want, just
use MPlayer and have it output to a PCM wave file.  You can then use
sox, lame or oggtools to encode to mp3 or ogg.  Also, if it's an mp3
stream such as shoutcast, icecast or similar, wget should work nicely.
If it's Windows Media, try mmsclient.  In the case of MPlayer, this is
what I use:

mplayer -quiet -vo null -ao pcm file.rm

It also supports .asf and obviously online streams and playlists.  If
it's an online mp3 stream, do something like this:

wget -b -i file.m3u -O file.mp3

You can also pass a URL instead of a .m3u playlist.  I have recorded
streams for years this way.  Be warned that the wget method does not
write proper mp3 headers.  I've never had a problem with the files
playing, but technically they aren't valid.