grub2 and vinux

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sun Feb 21 06:38:07 UTC 2010

Okay, I found out at least some of what's going on.  It appears grub2 is
incompatible with vinux.  I ran into problems with /boot/grub/locale not
being found again and had to purge two linux-image installations as well.
When I did an install on grub-legacy, all problems disappeared.
Something else happened with grub2 which should have been a warning to me
earlier.  /boot/grub/vbe couldn't be found earlier either.  That was even
with a working gnome and orca installation on the machine.  Apparently
either grub2 isn't detecting things as well as it might or gnome isn't
writing enough of the right information where grub2 needs it so grub2 can
update and install properly.  That vbe stuff is only used if graphical
boots will happen as opposed to command line boots.  I found that much out
by reading /etc/default/grub when that file existed.