vinux, Another Accessible Linux Possibility

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Fri Jan 8 17:11:20 UTC 2010

	Yesterday, I forgot to put all the important details
about how to read about vinux and then where to get it. Sorry
for the ommission.
Read a blog by the author:

http://vinux-development.blogspot.com/

Here is a portion of a message sent to another list by dr.bongo,
himself.:-)

 From:    Anthony Sales tony.sales at rncb.ac.uk

I am happy to announce the release of Vinux CLI 2.1 which is now available
in three different versions: The 'dna' version is a minimal Debian system
which only has five additional applications installed: the speakup screenreader
the remastersys installer, the wodim iso burning tool and the aptitude package
manager. It weighs in at just under 200MB and is aimed at advanced users who
want to build their own customised installation and/or distribution from
scratch. The 'std' version is a standard Vinux CLI system with a range of
basic desktop applications including the lynx internet browser, the nano text
editor, the mutt e-mail client, the midnight commander file manager and the
pdmenu application launcher. This is just under 400MB in size and is aimed at
intermediate users who may want to customised the standard version by adding
extra applications. The 'max' version is a full CD's worth on command line
applications containing as many useful desktop tools and utilities that I could
find in the Debian repositories. This aimed at users who want a ready made CLI
system with all the bells and whistles! Both the 'std' and max' editions have
the Vinux single character command aliases and a menu system which allows
uers to browse and run installed applications. Entering 'm' will open the menu,
entering 'h' will bring up a help file which lists all of the keyboard
shortcuts and installed applications. These new versions were all built with
the new Vinux build script which is included in the /root folder of each
edition. You can use this to install pre-selected suites of applications or
modify it to build your own customised system. This is also available as a
separate download if you want to modify an existing version of Debian.

Download URL's:

http://vinux.org.uk/latest/Vinux-CLI-dna-2.1.iso
http://vinux.org.uk/latest/Vinux-CLI-std-2.1.iso
http://vinux.org.uk/latest/Vinux-CLI-max-2.1.iso
http://vinux.org.uk/latest/Vinux-CLI-all-2.1.md5sums.txt
http://vinux.org.uk/latest/vinuxCLIscript1.62.tar.gz
http://vinux.org.uk/latest/help.txt

drbongo

End of links and forwarded messages

	I did get the system with 64 megabytes of RAM to
install. It has an issue with the network interface but that is
not accessibility-related. When I finally hammered it in to
working, the system was able to use aptitude and the movie
player. I played some test mp3 files and the voice worked
simultaneously with the music just like on the better and faster
systems.