Researching Linux and Accessibility

Roopakshi Pathania r_akshi_tgk at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 15 19:45:14 UTC 2010

Hi all,

As the subject says, I’m just researching Linux distributions, so I apologize in advance if I end up using wrong technical jargon.

1.	What is the status of GSpeech? The information about the GSpeech modules on the web is quite old. Is GSpeech a part of GTK programs, or is it installed separately?

2.	This question is distribution specific, but perhaps someone can help me, before I have to write to a separate distribution accessibility list.

While compiling a program (say Abiword) from the source, would it be useful if I could disable the support for inaccessible libraries (say QT), or is it likely to crash?
This is kind of specific to Gentoo distribution.
Has anyone carried out such an experiment?

3.	Besides Orca, Speakup, and Emacspeak, has any one used LSR, YASR, or any other screen reader that may be available for Linux?
If so, what has been your experience?

I’m still digging around, so more questions later.
Thanks for any feedback.

Regards
Roopakshi from India

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure."
~ Helen Keller