Linux GUI FAQ/tutorial?

trev.saunders at gmail.com trev.saunders at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 01:22:18 UTC 2010

Hi,

> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 08:31:46AM +0200, Octavian R=E2snita wrote:
> > Here is what I would like to be able to do with it for the beginning:
> > - start a command line which is accessible;
>
> Use speakup if you will be using the command line heavily -- I believe
> it comes with vinux, but if not you'll have to install the modules
> yourself. (I don't use vinux.)

it does come with the kernel modules, to use a TTY with speakup just press control alt 1 through 6 to get the relavent TTY and hit enter on the live cd atleast.  After installing you will need to login (user name and password speakup will read this to  you).  (at least when I've tried it vinux by default loads the sot ware synth module, and had espeakup set up.

> > - install MySQL, Apache2, Perl, and use cpan for compiling and
> > installing some perl modules;
>
> Apt can install most if not all of these.

(I've never actually looked at the sources.list file on an installed vinux machine, but I suspect it uses standard debian repos.  (if not you can fix this easily.)  The Debian repo has all of these software packages as well as many others.

> > - use an accessible editor, an accessible browser and an accessible
> > email client.
>
> I'm a fan of command line apps -- I like emacs, as it can do a lot
> eg. automatically do your indentation. Also you should use emacspeak
> with it to take advantage of all it's features. Vi, nano and most of the
> other editors are fine with speakup, emacs will work with speakup, but
> you'll have a better experience with emacspeak.=20

Personally I prefer yasr to speakup, and like vim as an editor.  vi m works well with yasr, and is useable with speakup.

> Lynx is a nice browser, for javascript use firefox with orca.=20

agreed

> I like mutt for email again a command line application, but extremely
> powerful/accessible. Otherwise use a graphical one such as
> thunderbird/evolution using orca.

I think by far the best option is mutt.

> > - It would be also nice if there would be an accessible file manager
> > with a GUI.
>
> The console is the best file manager i have found... The default file
> manager in gnome does work with orca very well though it's called
> nautilus or something similar, not sure of the spelling.=20

agreed, bash makes a pretty excellent file manager.

Trev