Linux GUI FAQ/tutorial?

Octavian Râsnita orasnita at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 06:32:21 UTC 2010

Hi Dan,

> Use speakup if you will be using the command line heavily -- I believe
> it comes with vinux, but if not you'll have to install the modules
> yourself. (I don't use vinux.)

Do you know if Speakup works with a software synthesizer?

> - install MySQL, Apache2, Perl, and use cpan for compiling and
> installing some perl modules;

> Apt can install most if not all of these.

I can compile them, no problem, but I would like to be able to read the
console for seeing at least the last screen displayed, for viewing errors...
but I guess Speakup can do this.

> - use an accessible editor, an accessible browser and an accessible
> email client.

> I'm a fan of command line apps -- I like emacs, as it can do a lot
> eg. automatically do your indentation. Also you should use emacspeak
> with it to take advantage of all it's features. Vi, nano and most of the
> other editors are fine with speakup, emacs will work with speakup, but
> you'll have a better experience with emacspeak.

Well, I have tried Emacspeak in the past but I didn't find it nice enough. I
don't like to need remembering anything, and I like to find all the features
the editor offers in menus or in other ways, but not in help files.
A Linux clone of TextPad or EditPlus or UltraEdit would be very good.

Nano is nice, but it doesn't use (as far as I know) the possibility of
finding/replacing using regular expressions, the possibility of running the
currently opened file with a certain interpreter and storing the results
from STDOUT and STDERR in another accessible window, and many other missing
features.

My biggest fear is that I won't find a good editor under Linux, but only
extremes - powerful editors like Emacs and vi that have a very old and
strange interface, or easy to use editors like nano or pico that don't have
more features than Notepad.

Octavian