command line streaming URL scraping tool

Rudy Vener salt at panix.com
Wed Jul 21 16:59:28 UTC 2010

Thank you Chris.

This is EXACTLY what I needed.

It worked like a charm.

My only difficulty was that  my version of mplayer could
not play the playlist file directly. I had to
first download the playlist file and get the actual streaming
URL  from there.

Rudy

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 04:43:04AM -0500, Chris Brannon wrote:
> Rudy Vener wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to locate a tool which when given a web page with a "Listen Live"
> > link, can return the actual URL of  an audio stream which can be handed
> > off to mplayer.
>
> The shoutcast-search script may be useful for you.
> It locates online streams that are registered with shoutcast.com.
> Here's the link to the homepage:
> http://www.k2h.se/code/shoutcast-search.html
>
> When I type
> shoutcast-search wabc
> I get the following:
> http://yp.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-station.pls?id=1378084
> The URL points to a playlist, and you can pass it to mplayer, like so:
> mplayer -playlist http://yp.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-station.pls?id=1378084
>
> Note that shoutcast-search can (and often does) give multiple results.
> E.G., the command "shoutcast-search classical" gives me 308 stations
> at the moment.
>
> You can also get verbose output from the tool:
>
> shoutcast-search -v wabc
> # Gives me the following output:
> Search summary
> ------------------------------
> # Lots of noise snipped from output.
> WABC-AM [64kbps audio/mpeg]
> 	http://yp.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-station.pls?id=1378084
> 	talk, 70 listeners
> 	Now playing:
>
> Hope this helps,
> -- Chris

Rudy Vener, Owner and founder
Pizza Galaxy - Online ordering and Email marketing for
independent restaurants.
Phone: (203) 230-9662
Website: http://www.pizzagalaxy.com

Restaurant owners, boost your sales with new
customers, more visits and increased ticket size with
Pizza Galaxy's Online Ordering and E-mail Marketing.
Get our free report: The Top 7 Ways for Restaurants to get
Customers Online. Go to
http://www.pizzagalaxy.com/top7ways.html
to get your free copy.

see for yourself  how customers hear about restaurant online
ordering by following us on  Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/pizzagalaxy