Getting Started with Ubuntu on windows 7

marbux marbux at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 07:04:42 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 11:11 AM, John J. Boyer
<john.boyer at abilitiessoft.com> wrote:
> I ran the wubi installer. It seemed to finish successfully. What is the
> next step to getting Ubuntu running as another Windows application?

Wubi won't allow you to run Ubuntu and Windows concurrently. To run
Ubuntu as a guest on Windows (concurrent), you will need to install a
virtual machine program and then install Ubuntu (not Wubi) to the
virtual machine.

Popular free virtual machine programs include Virtual Box, VMWare
Player, and Bochs.  I use Virtual Box on one of my machines to run
Ubuntu atop Windows. It works quite well.

If you are running more than a single physical hard drive it is good
to install the virtual machine and its virtual drive(s) on a hard
drive other than the boot drive; that dramatically reduces the amount
of drive read/write head thrashing otherwise needed to support two
operating environments concurrently; your drives should live much
longer.

Best regards,

Paul

--