Windows virtual machine on linux help

marbux marbux at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 20:16:40 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Kristoffer Gustafsson
<kg84 at dreamwld.com> wrote:
> Hi.
> Ok, now I've read some documentation and I am planning to try it.
> but I can't find any package for debian squeeze I'm running at the moment.
> Do you think I can take the packages for lenny?

Don't run pure Debian so don't know. But I'd say it's worth a try. You
can always purge Virtual Box from the system if it doesn't work. But
if you encounter dependency issues when installing, I'd advise getting
better advice than I can offer before trying to force the
installation.

> Also, as a blind user, can I install guest editions by myself in any way?

I'm sighted so don't know for sure. I have seen others on this list
discussing Virtual Box usage, so I suspect you can.

After installing both virtual box and the OS, boot the virtual OS.
When it's running, push Right Control+D. (The Right Control key is the
default "Host" key that is used in combination with other keys to
perform various actions involving the host operating system.)

That combination launches a dialog to select and install the guest
additions for the guest operating system.

The guest additions are installed by the Virtual Box installer as ISO
images for each major operating system supported. I.e., if  your guest
OS is Windows, then select the Windows Guest Additions ISO. Then tab
to the control for proceeding to the next step.

After the guest additions are installed, you have a bunch more
configuration options.

Best regards,

Paul