what do I need?

Rudy Vener salt at panix.com
Thu Mar 4 14:51:47 UTC 2010

I use the following method in Linux:
1. download the file to :
/home/rudy/book1/book1.zip
cd /home/rudy/book1
unzip book1.zip
rm book1.zip

At this pount you now have a subdirectory containg all your unzipped files and the
original book1.zip file has been removed.

Now plug in your sound cartridge to your Linux USB port using
a USB extender cable, and mount the
sound cartridge  onto your file system.

I wrote the following script for my Linux machine:
x=`fdisk -l | grep "/dev/sd.1" | sed -e "s/ .*//"`
[ "$x" = "" ] && x=/dev/sda1
mount -t vfat $x /mnt/flash

Explanation: The fdisk -l helps me find the
usb because it is the only scsi type drive in my system.  I discovered
that the system mounts a different scsi drive every time I  plug it in
and this was just the simplest way for me to discover it without
modifying my  /etc/fstab. Your solution may differ :-)

Once you have mounted your sound cartridge as /mnt/flash:

cd /mnt/flash
mkdir book1
cd book1
cp /home/rudy/book1/* .

At this point you have copied  all your unzipped sound files into
a subdirectory on your  sound cartridge.

Now plug the sound cartridge into your digital player and
turn it on. The DP will find it.

Note that you can load a lot of books at one time.  My 1 gig
sound cartrige holds up to 7 or 8 books  depending on size.

I typically use very short file names for the
directory or zip file names. e.g.  Nelson Demille's
The Gold Coast will end up as gold.zip
and be in /mnt/flash/gold

Have fun.

Rudy
On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 01:23:38AM -0700, Brian Tew wrote:
> Ok I got a digital player from the library.
> I can download books from bard noproblem.
> What do I need to get the files from the computer to the player using linux?
> Do I need any special software for that?
>
> t i a.
>
> --Brian Tew
> do not reply to this address. it is a spam trap.
> please use:  btew at bresnan dot net

Rudy Vener, Owner and founder
Pizza Galaxy - Online ordering and Email marketing for
independent restaurants.
Phone: (203) 230-9662
Website: http://www.pizzagalaxy.com

Restaurant owners, our online ordering and  Email
marketing service keeps your customers coming back. Get our
free report: The Top 7 Ways for Restaurants to get Customers
Online. Go to
http://www.pizzagalaxy.com/top7ways.html
to get your free copy.

see for yourself  how customers hear about restaurant online
ordering by following us on  Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/pizzagalaxy