realaudio

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu May 27 10:48:45 UTC 2010

I'm sure this has been answered already, but my method is probably not
the usual one, so I thought I would post here. Usually, I just use
MPlayer. It can handle locally downloaded files or web streams. I think
it can handle rtsp also, I'm not sure about pnm. However, most of the
time I would rather transcode to mp3 and listen on my VR Stream. To do
that, I use a command line similar to this:

ffmpeg -i http://otrsite.com/realaudio/sametime100523.rm sametime100523.mp3

In a few minutes, you'll end up with an mp3 file, suitable for any
portable player. Note that you'll need the ffmpeg package. If using
Debian, make sure to get it from http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ as
the plain vanilla Debian packages don't support Real due to the
proprietary nature of the protocol. Hopefully this is helpful.