Global navigation?

Rob Harris robh at apearl.net
Sun Nov 14 21:39:30 UTC 2010

Hi,

Since someone liked my calendar tool,  my latest is about global navigation;
interesting and useful little toy to amuse with.

I fould lists of US and World cities with their coordinates already listed;
and for Brits, got all the top level post code prefixes.  The tool will
calculate  the great circle, which is to say, the shortest possible
distance, as the plane flies you might say;  and the relative  great circle
and rhumb line courses.  It gives the reciprocal too. Some one could specify
more or less any two points on the globe and get meaningful results. Some
are surprising, unless you're familiar with this already, then it is  just
proving what you suspected. It demonstrates why planes from europe to Japan
go over the north pole and not east as you might think.

http://randex.apearl.net/tools.php?op=longlat

If I can add to it or improve it in osme some way, let me know and I'll see
if I can do it.  zip code would compliment the UK postcodes of course, but
it would involve finding a ready made list from somewhere.  I can wrap the
mechanics round it if someone found such a list.

Thanks,  RobH.