Linux Programming Discussions

Martin McCormick martin at x.it.okstate.edu
Wed Sep 1 15:43:35 UTC 2010

	One last thing. I started looking for any examples of
serial routines that use epoll and, in the process, I ran across
a discussion last year by some folks who were trying to get
RS-232 communications working well enough to transfer binary
files without corruption.

	One person wrote,

"Don't use the Linux howto. It is old, not maintained and some
of it is flat wrong."

	They went on to recommend a web resource which is still
active to this very day. It is

www.easysw.com/~mike/serial/serial.html

Between that and the use of poll to alert on receipt of data, I
should be able to come up with a better routine.

	The program I am writing is modular so I can work on the
new serial engine and drop it in when it is ready and limp along
with the older slow one for now.

	Thanks for all the suggestions.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer