debian problem

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Mon Jan 10 03:11:21 UTC 2011

On 01/09/2011 08:34 PM, Jason White wrote:
> Try typing alt-ctrl-F1 to switch to a console, then log in and
> find out what is running. If it's gdm or a similar display
> manager, turn it off or remove it

If the display-manager (gdm, xdm, whatever) is spawned from the
inittab, killing it will just cause it to respawn.  You usually
want something like

   bash$ sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

and then turn it off in subsequent reboots

   bash$ sudo update-rc.d -f gdm remove

Occasionally this will come back if you do a system update that
brings in a new/updated version of your display-manager.  In
theory, there's a way to tell it not to come back, but I think it
required knowing the start-position-number (in /etc/rc*.d/S##gdm
  ) to shut them off, and I have a script to just kill off a
bunch of processes I only want to run on-demand.

Granted, this is all predicated on assuming you want to kill X.
Jason also suggests you might want to set up Orca to have access
to X which would obviate my ramblings.

-tim