Ok, I give up, another distro?

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Tue Jan 11 05:59:37 UTC 2011

"Kristoffer Gustafsson" <kg84 at dreamwld.com> writes:

> Hi.
> Ok, strange. What can be going on.
> I can't press allt+control+f1, I type kristoffer, press enter, then the password, but nothing at all happens.

Have you tried alt-ctrl-f2, f3 etc.?
> Is there a way to cansel the startup of gnome, and see what ïs going on?

Select the emergency rescue option in the Grub menu (pressing down-arrow
once should be sufficient).

Then you can apply the techniques discussed earlier for turning off gdm.

I would solve this by booting into a GRML CD, then mounting the root
file system of the Debian installation and disabling gdm.

You really should have deactivated gdm after installing Gnome but before
rebooting.