vim; Navigation Keys only echo some Characters.

Martin McCormick martin at x.it.okstate.edu
Mon Jun 13 13:17:26 UTC 2011

	This is a spanking new Debian installation being
accessed via a system running the older Vinux version 2
command-line terminal. The responses I get back from the Debian
system are mostly what is to be expected except for when I use
vim. I do have a .vimrc file which is supposed to make vim
behave like vi and it mostly does except that the l key which
moves the cursor across the line to the right normally echos
every character it passes over but now it is mostly silent
except for a few characters which it faithfully echos. It sounds
as if the whole line is blank except for those few characters
but it is really all there. If I  backspace or use the h key, I
hear everything. The characters that get echoed when moving
right are lower case plus some punctuation marks. Digits and
upper case get missed.

	I started out with the TERM variable set to vt102 but
have disabled that and am using the linux value of terminal with
no effect.

	I have noticed this same behavior but slightly less when
accessing FreeBSD systems. There, digits get the silent
treatment but alphabetic characters and punctuations are spoken.

	If I am running screen, I get the proper echo.

	Any theories as to what I can tweak to make the echo
consistent?

	Thanks for any ideas.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer