moving virtual machines

Eric Oyen eric.oyen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 01:17:37 UTC 2011

depending on the version of the virtual machine host that created it, its very possible. you can do this directly with vmware. all you need to do is move the entire folder. once in linux, you start up the virtual machine console, go to the folder you have your vm guest in and select its configuration file.. the vm should start up normally or the vm software will ask you to convert it or correct a version conflict.

I have done this many times with vmware between windows and linux. I should preface that I did a lot of this work while had enough vision to do it (low partial). I haven't attempted this since I went total a year ago.

-Eric