Ubuntu Live CD Compared with Vinux3.0

Martin McCormick martin at x.it.okstate.edu
Mon Mar 28 13:25:41 UTC 2011

	I just got hold of a Dell desktop system that is about 5
or 6 years old but may have enough resources to run the ubuntu
live CD.

	The system had been previously used for gaming so it is
really nice with what appear to be 8 USB ports and a 1-gig CPU.

	Does the present ubuntu Live CD still support orca? Last
year's Vinux 2.x CD did boot up and talk to me so I can probably
install that, but if it is capable of orca, that would be more
useful. One discouraging note was that the latest Vinux 3.0x86
CD does not appear to want to boot. It is supposed to boot you
right in to orca.

	At the time, there is no mouse attached. Will orca
complain about this or refuse to run?

	I know the problem with the Vinux disk is more than that
because of the very brief time the CD runs before everything
quits.

	I have not yet determined from dmesg how much RAM there
is but the system hard drive did run Windows XP Home Edition.

	Hopefully, it is just hours away from an extreme
make over.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer