Why Arch Linux?

Krishnakant Mane krmane at gmail.com
Sun May 1 19:31:36 UTC 2011

Hello all.
Just re opening this thread for another reason.
I have downloaded the talking arch 10.05 based version.
I was reading this thread and what struck me was the packaging system.
The major problem with other distros like Ubuntu or fedora is that the
package versions are tightly integrated with the distro version.
For example putting libre office on Ubuntu 10.04 was real pain.
What I want to know from experienced users like chuk who actually
mentioned this fact of having all the upstreem packages in the repos is
that, can I have things like postgresql 8.4, gnome 2.8 + orca 2.91.92
and Libre office in the latest talking arch?
I am thinking of downloading the needed software packages with
dependences  and creating a local repository.
Basically my organisation has a 8 mbps line and I will take every thing
down from there and then at my home will do an offline package setup.

I have the wiki page on offline package installation in my book marks so
that will come handy.
In addition, will the netinstaller version of talking arch be sufficient
if I do maintain such a local repo of packages?
Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.