browser security?

blinux-mail at AegisInfoSys.com blinux-mail at AegisInfoSys.com
Fri Oct 7 06:51:03 UTC 2011

There is no overt way that a site can tell what visitor is accessing it.
The normal communications protocol says that a browser should tell the
site what kind of browser it is when first contacting the site.  This
is not required, so a browser could tell the site something else, or
even nothing at all.

The protocol identifier for this is called the "User-Agent:" header.
The parameter in lynx to set this is "-useragent=whatever".
For instance, to browse to a site using lynx while "pretending" to
be an old version of firefox:

  lynx -useragent='Mozilla/4.79 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.4.18-3 i686; Nav)' http://whatever.com

--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York