alsalib boot errors

aerospace1028 at hotmail.com aerospace1028 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 21 17:48:56 UTC 2011

Hello,
I'm noticing a rash of alsa-lib warnings popping up durring the boot phase of my archlinux system.

I managed to capture the messages below.  I don't completely understand what alsalib is complaining about.  To me, it looks like it is having trouble
identifying/loading speaker configurations (I'm presuming "front," "center" and "side" refer to surround-sound speakers).  Speakup is reading these
messages, so I am getting sound.  I'm using a laptop, with whatever built-in sound the machine has--most often the headphone jack.

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem and how I might go about correcting it?

:: Restoring ALSA Levels
[DONE]
:: Starting Espeakup
[DONE]
:: Starting speech dispatcher Daemon
[BUSY]
[Thu Oct 20 15:52:47 2011 : 439163] speechd: Speech Dispatcher 0.8-dev starting

[DONE]
ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround71
ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi
ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.ATIIXP.pcm.modem.0:CARD=0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4184:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4663:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline:CARD=0,DEV=0
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.ATIIXP.pcm.modem.0:CARD=0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4184:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4663:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline:CARD=0,DEV=0
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.ATIIXP.pcm.modem.0:CARD=0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4184:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4663:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM phoneline
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.ATIIXP.pcm.modem.0:CARD=0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4184:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4663:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM phoneline
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:957:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only playback stream
:: Starting Syslog-NG
[DONE]
:: Starting IP Tables
[DONE]
:: Starting Network
[DONE]
:: Mounting Network Filesystems
[DONE]
:: Starting Cron Daemon
[DONE]
:: Starting D-BUS system messagebus
[DONE]
:: Setting cpufreq governing rules , cpu 0
[DONE]
:: Starting laptop-mode
[DONE]