Looking for Syntax

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Wed Sep 14 20:54:22 UTC 2011

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011, RiverWind wrote:

> I am looking for specific "sudo" related syntax. Say I want to
> install the file compression utility "rar." Now then, the "Apt get
> install" doesn't seem to work with my new debian system. I have
> either forgotten the proper syntax, or something isn't working or
> is missing with this new distro of mine.

'apt-get' is one word with a dash in the middle, not two words.  So you
want:

sudo apt-get install rar

Error messages are the key to the problem.  In this case you should have
seen:

sudo: apt: command not found

which tells you that there's no program called "apt".

In future, if you're having a problem and you have an error message, it's
helpful to post it.

Geoff.