apt-get problem

blinux-mail at AegisInfoSys.com blinux-mail at AegisInfoSys.com
Thu Sep 15 02:34:45 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 22:01:23PM -0400, RiverWind wrote:
> Quote On:
> apt-get install rar
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package rar is not available, but is referred to by another
> package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been
> obsoleted, or is only available from another source
>
> E: Package 'rar' has no installation candidate
> Quote Off:

i see a note in an old "rar" package readme file that states that rar
compression may be proprietary, so in my old system i don't have "rar",
but i do have "unrar".  so, try it again with "unrar" instead of "rar".

--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York