debian g.u.i. experimentation

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Fri Sep 16 02:19:45 UTC 2011

I had gnome with orca on this machine and suppose I could have stopped the
frequent crashes in orca by removing gnome-screensaver and dependencies
from the system I may try that later.  What I decided to try though was to
remove gnome and install kde and jovie and dependencies and
kdeaccessibility to see what kind of speaking environment I might run
into.  So far, no login sound although the x server or kde equivalent is
getting started and no result for first try at login.  If I can get logged
in, would I do alt-f2 and then type jovie to enable speech long enough to
configure it?  I'm interested to see if I can get jovie to come up
automatically at least after login and then go from there.  I installed
kdestandard as the base package for kde and am running in debian sid.  Any
other packages needed to get a login sound out of kde?

Jude <jdashiel at shellworld.net> "I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his
Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in
action folks! You know he's got God on his side."
~ Bill Hicks