Marking Files for Transfer

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Thu Sep 22 23:29:29 UTC 2011

That can be done most efficiently with a shell script.  You specify the
search criteria with a foreach loop and do operations on those files
based on that search criteria.  For example first locate sieger
>sieger.fil <cr> Then you could edit sieger.fil with ex and do something
like %s/^/cp / <cr> which would put cp in front of every one of those
file names in the sieger.fil.  Then %s/$/ /home/rayj/music/sieger/ <cr>.
 Then save that to sieger.1 and get out of there.  Next edit sieger.fil
with ex  again and do something like %s/^/rm / <cr> then save that as
sieger.2 and exit sieger.fil.  next cat sieger.1 sieger.2 >sieger.3 and
put the line that turns it into a shell script at the top of sieger.3
and make it executable and run sieger.3 and that should take care of
that artist.  You could also run sieger.1 as a separate script then
check to see if all files made it to their new destination and then run
sieger.2 once you confirmed the first finding.  That way nothing gets
removed until after you verify the copy to new location.