Best (and worst)( distros for software development

Kyle kyle4jesus at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 00:19:44 UTC 2012

Just my opinion, but the best distro I have found, especially for software development, but for nearly all other uses as well, is Arch Linux. The live install image gives you a very basic command line environment from which you perform the base installation using standard partitioning and other tools and simple install scripts. During the installation procedure, you will want to install the base-devel package group. After you have installed the basic Arch Linux system, you have a very clean and minimal Linux that you can easily tailor to your own unique needs using a very simple and straight-forward package manager. There is also the Arch User Repository (AUR), which is a searchable database of package build files that will allow people to search for, download and install any software you develop. You can find the official Arch Linux install image at
http://archlinux.org/
and a slightly modified talking install image with eSpeak and Speakup activated on boot can be found at
http://the-brannons.com/tarch/
Happy hacking.
~Kyle