Best (and worst)( distros for software development

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Mon Aug 6 03:50:19 UTC 2012

I don't even know how to get gentoo to install properly so it talks
after reboot, and I don't know where documentation exists to show
someone how to make that happen either any more.  That used to be
possible with the 2008 distribution packages if memory serves though.

My speech synthesizer had to go back to the factory so slackware isn't
an option yet since it can't install using a sound card for a screen
reader or run after installation that way without extra packages being
installed and customized yet.  One of these days I'll buy anotherspeech
synthesizer and that problem will go away.

On Sun, 5 Aug 2012, Tim Chase wrote:

> As Jason mentions, there are personal decisions about stability vs.
> update frequency.  I'd give a spectrum from
>
> Debian Stable (rather conservative; what I happen to run)
>
> Debian Testing, Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, most other distros (a good
> balance of stability & package freshness)
>
> Debian Sid (pretty bleeding edge)
>
> Gentoo (bleeding edge)
>

> As far as distro choices, all should be pretty reasonable as long as
> they have access to a full-fledged repository.  I might shy away
> from the micro distributions like Puppy or DSL where it might be
> harder to obtain development libraries, compilers, etc.  If you plan
> to multi-boot, I'd at least do one of each of the major flavors:  an
> apt-based (Fedora, Mint, Ubuntu, etc), an RPM based (Fedora, CentOS,
> Red Hat), and possibly a Slackware-based or source-based.
>
> That said, you don't mention what sort of language you plan to use
> for development.  I don't know much about other languages, as I tend
> to do most of my work in Python, but you can use "virtualenv" and
> "pip" to create virtual Python environments where you can control
> the exact versions of all the components on a per-directory basis so
> you can even have multiple versions on your system at the same time.
>  I've done some work in C and C++ as well, and having a variety of
> compilers can help.
>
> So other than the mini distributions, they should all mostly be
> about the same for most development purposes.
>
> -tim

Support
your local
church or