streaming in Linux?

Hart Larry chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Mon Feb 20 14:02:14 UTC 2012

Well actually, as another alternative, you can play video in xvfb   but it
takes some setting up.  Many sites which normally I cannot play an exact url in
mplayer  I can play in this xvfb way in which you call firefox from a
commandline, but you cannot interact.
Here are some lines from my .alias in my Debian system
#   setenv DISPLAY ':99'
#           no longer needed in Debian, slightly different Xvfb setup
#   alias ff 'firefox   --display=:99   -P nullvideo   '
#  alias ff 'xvfb-run  firefox -no-remote -a nullvideo -P nullvideo '
alias ff "xvfb-run -a  -s '-screen 0 640x480x16'  firefox -no-remote -a
nullvideo -P nullvideo "
alias rp "xvfb-run -a  -s '-screen 0 1024x768x16'
/opt/real/RealPlayer/realplay "
Hope that helps many of you
Hart