open ssh connection

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Thu Jan 12 03:19:44 UTC 2012

On 01/11/12 19:39, Kristoffer Gustafsson wrote:
> I can connect to the machine inside linux using localhost.
> But when I try this in windows using putty, it doesn't work.

When you say "it doesn't work", do you mean that it connects but
doesn't allow you to authenticate, or do you get a
connection-refused?

If it's not connecting at all, you'd want to check your
/etc/ssh/sshd_config file for a "ListenAddress" line to see if
your sshd is only listening on the loopback (127.0.0.1) instead
of on an external IP address (such as 192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z).
If there's no such "ListenAddress" line in your sshd_config file,
it suggests to me that your Windows machine has a firewall
controlling outbound connections to port 22.  I'd check there
next.  This is presuming that your config file has the default
"Port 22" as it's listening port.  However, you'd have to have
changed this yourself since it's not the default.

If you're successfully connecting, but can't log in, check the
same sshd_config file.  If you're trying to log in remotely as
root and the "PermitRootLogin" option is set to "no", you'll have
to log in as your user and then "su" to root or use sudo.
Otherwise, check for an "AllowUsers" or "AllowGroups" option
which may have been configured to allow/deny only certain
users/groups.

-tim