Command-line editor that handles UTF-8

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Tue Jul 3 23:10:42 UTC 2012

On 07/03/12 17:48, John J. Boyer wrote:
> Neither nano nor vim will handle UTF-8. I need a command-line
> editor that will.

Most builds of Vim should support UTF-8 as long as the terminal in
which you're using it does.  Check the output of ":version" to see
if "+mutli_byte" is set.  If you have vim-tiny installed, it may not
have been built with multi-byte, so you can install what's usually
called "vim-full", "vim-nox", or just "vim".

There's a good description regarding getting Unicode/UTF-8 working
on the wiki at

 http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Working_with_Unicode

Hope this helps.  And if you're not a Vim user, I'm sorry that I
can't be of much help. :-)

-tim