grub update on arch

aerospace1028 at hotmail.com aerospace1028 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 23 13:02:47 UTC 2012

Hello,
I've read through the information on the Arch-wiki about transitioning from grub-legacy to grub2.  I've organized my notes.  Before i go ahead and do
this, I want to double check I didn't miss anything.  Updates to grub always make me nervous: if it messes up, I potentially can't get into my computer
at all.

Currently, I am duel-booting with windowsXP.

So far, I think I figured out the first part:

# mv /boot/grub /boot/grub-legacy
# dd if=/dev/sdX of=/backup/bootcode_backup bs=446 count=1
# pacman --noprogressbar -S grub-bios
# modprobe dm_mod
# grub-install --directory=/usr/lib/grub/i386-pc --target=i386-pc --grub-setup=/bin/true --boot-directory=/boot --recheck --debug /dev/sda
# mkdir -p /boot/grub/locale
# cp /usr/share/locale/en at quot/LC_MESSAGES/grub.mo /boot/grub/locale/en.mo
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

The next step on the wiki is:
# grub-probe --target=fs_uuid /media/Windows/bootmgr

But when I mount my windows partition, I don't see any bootmgr under the windowsXP root?  How do I find the XP equivalent of bootmgr?