video file playing in debian?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Mon May 14 22:15:41 UTC 2012

My thanks to everyone on list and off.
Let me ask this question with a slight variation...as a task.
I am a media professional who does a great deal of research.
There are times when I am working on something and as I work find video
files of things I would like to review on the spot.
audio files too, but one task at a time.
I am going to ask this from a strict debian standpoint.  For example I
normally use ssh telnet to go to shellworld and do things  using
lynx, links, or e-links, there in my DOS
structure, but we are going to ask this totally from debian.
so...
I am researching something, using google.
1, I am using which browser for greatest access in debian? to get to
google in the first place.
2, once I am there and have entered my search term, say finding a link on
the cbs news site.
can I simply choose the link and play the video enabling me to go to the
next one if there is a series?
This is different than say
TELNETTing to shellworld using movgrab to get a link I already have,
downloading the file in question, and playing it.
My task would have me actually playing the research material as I go if
that makes sense, video or audio.
I am of a mind? that I cannot play links from a shell service anyway. I
may be wrong here,  but that is another reasons why I might wish to use a
direct browser from my computer for the work.
thoughts?
If I am not being clear enough, let me know.
Frankly I want a debian tutor here in town lol.

Karen