copying files from my computer using arch linux

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Wed Nov 7 09:42:03 UTC 2012

Kristoffer Gustafsson  <blinux-list at redhat.com> wrote:
>My windows computer has crashed, and I want to recover my files and
>put them on my usb hard drive.
>Is this possible to do from an arch linux cd?
>If so how do I do this?

In addition to what others have suggested, be sure that whichever live
distribution you boot has the ntfs-3g package installed.

Live distributions used for recovery purposes, for example Knoppix and Grml,
will include this package, but others may not.

This is the preferred software for mounting and accessing NTFS file systems
used by modern versions of Microsoft Windows; it is reputedly better than the
support provided by the Linux kernel.

Disclaimer: I am not a Windows user, so the above information is based on what
I have read rather than on what I have experience of using.