external installation?

aerospace1028 at hotmail.com aerospace1028 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 15 16:35:22 UTC 2012

Hello,
An update to my previous hard drive failure.  I bought a replacement from ebay.  It doesn't work.  Had people look at it: no dice.

I'm planning to pick up a new-ish laptop soon.

I got an idea.  Is it overly difficult to install archlinux to an external hard drive rather than a new partition on the new laptop' internal drive?  I think I've heard of people running linuxes from USB thumbdrives.  It feels like it should be possible: almost like using two internal hard drives, but one is mounted externally through the USB.

If it is possible, are there any special considerations when purchasing the external drive?  Most are marketed towards "Windows backup" options, but I can just re-format and install linux like a standard hard drive, correct?

If this idea is possible, it has a definite appeal to me.

Thank you :-)