Wheezy Speakup Installation Questions

Martin McCormick martin at x.it.okstate.edu
Fri Nov 16 17:59:28 UTC 2012

	When one uses a disk like the wheezy netinstall disk,
boots in to the talking kernel by typing lower-case s and then
does the installation, does that process just install the
sound modules needed for speech by that particular computer?

	I thought I had a bright idea when I used a fast Dell
computer to install wheezy on to a 16-G flash drive that I was
then going to copy to a couple of other similar drives via dd
and upgrade all my older but still working Linux systems.

	All these systems ran speakup before but after my
attempt, one came up talking but couldn't find its network
interface. Another came up mute. Doesn't the boot process scan
the system and figure out which audio modules it needs?

	This is not an end-of world problem. I am just curious
as to why this admitted short cut didn't work. Should it have
worked?

	Thanks.

Martin McCormick