What is the best distro for my business manager?

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 21:51:17 UTC 2012

On 23/11/12 15:25, marbux wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 11:39 AM, John J. Boyer
> <john.boyer at abilitiessoft.com> wrote:
>> I'm getting sick of dealing with Windows. My business manager is
>> agreeable to a switch, using OpenOffice. What is the best Linux distro
>> for someone who does mostly wordprocessing, online shopping, email and
>> accounting?
>
> Ubuntu itself is kind of nuts these days, with major changes on the
> desktop to make Ubuntu run on both desktops and mobile devices. It's
> GUI is a profound departure from the Linuces you may have seen before.

I wouldn't agree with this. Ubuntu switched to Unity three releases ago,
so I wouldn't say Ubuntu is nuts these days or has major changes on the
desktop. Debian is also undergoing a similar change in it's desktop with
Gnome Shell, so all of the distributions and even other OS's are looking
at making their decade old interfaces more mobile friendly.

I'd actually recommend Ubuntu in this case. With Canonical behind it,
Ubuntu supports a lot of OEM's and is even preinstalled by most of the
top PC manufacturers, so the transition from Windows to Ubuntu should be
pretty straightforward. You can also purchase support from Canonical for
Ubuntu through it's Ubuntu Advantage program.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail