What is the best distro for my business manager?

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sun Nov 25 06:03:38 UTC 2012

John J. Boyer <blinux-list at redhat.com> wrote:
>I'm getting sick of dealing with Windows. My business manager is
>agreeable to a switch, using OpenOffice. What is the best Linux distro
>for someone who does mostly wordprocessing, online shopping, email and
>accounting?

My suggestion would be to start with a good, well-maintained distribution such
as Debian or Fedora, then install the desktop environment and applications of
your choice. Others have already made suggestions in regard to those.

If you want extra stability, then choose one of the "enterprise"
distributions, or a derivative, or Debian stable or even Ubuntu LTS.

I think it's better to start by choosing a desktop environment and
applications, then a distribution based on its maintenance policy, packaging
system and other features.

I'd personally choose either Debian or Red Hat/Fedora, or maybe OpenSUSE/Suse
(although I haven't had any experience with SUSE in any of its forms). They're
the long-term players who have the most experience and expertise from the
kernel level through to the application level.