How to mount an USB disk

Karl Wilbur karl at karlwilbur.net
Tue Nov 27 21:46:18 UTC 2012

Another issue with the "plug 'n' play" USB is that it gets auto-mounted 700
by the logged in user and only if a user is logged in. Only under a
few scenarios is this even workable. FTR, this is handled by the DM,
like Gnome or KDE, not by the kernel, even though there is direct kernel
support for it.

If you are mounting a USB stick for temporary use while logged into a DM,
that should be fine. If however, you are mounting and external HDD or
optical drive via USB and expect it to always be available across reboots,
to other users, or remotely accessible without being logged in to the GUI,
it is not.

--
Karl Wilbur
513-322-2481