linux and floppy drive

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Fri Oct 5 08:00:18 UTC 2012

I have a floppy drive debian and arch will not use.  It works well enough
when I put an unformatted disk in it and boot the computer the boot
process is stopped and remains so until that floppy disk gets removed.
It's one of the 3.5 inch floppy disks and I noticed several different
possible formats for it in /etc/mediaprm when I checked that file.  Even
new floppy disks with no low level formatting on them will not low level
format and forget about any other access operations.  Unless I'm
overlooking something, there doesn't appear to be any command line tool to
do a floppy probe operation and write an appropriate configuration file or
update /etc/fstab.  kde has kde-floppy but kde hasn't got accessibility to
the same extent command line users with speakup have or emacspeak or gnome
users have with orca.  I'll probably be able to move files off floppy
disks if I can get the internal drive working or if that fails buy a usb
floppy and try to get that working.