Screen reader for DOS needed

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sat Sep 1 02:04:39 UTC 2012

First, to run Vocal-Eyes, you must have a serial synthesizer.  I suppose an
internal one might work, but I don't have one and I have no way to test.  I
use the DECTalk Express.  Second, you need to make sure nothing else is
using the serial port, specifically Speakup.  You can run both Vocal-Eyes
and Speakup at the same time, but only with software speech.  Your DECtalk
USB might support serial, but since it isn't identical to the Express, it
might not work.  Also, dosemu in Debian testing does something weird with
the display so Vocal-Eyes can't read it, but the version in Squeeze is fine.
  Briefly, this is what I do:

rmmod speakup_dectlk
modprobe speakup_soft
espeakup
dosemu -s

The -s switch is what you need because it gives full serial port access but
it means running dosemu as root.  You need to edit your configuration to
point ttyS0 to /dev/ttyS0 instead of null or a file.  I still use the DOS
view.exe that came with Vocal-Eyes and it works fine.  You can still press
Ctrl+Alt+F2 to go to a console with Speakup.