hard drive replacement questions

aerospace1028 at hotmail.com aerospace1028 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 20 18:47:21 UTC 2012

On digest mode; replying to two messages at once.

>--Forwarded Message Attachment--
>From: stonedge at myfastmail.com
>To: blinux-list at redhat.com
>Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 13:56:20 -0400
>Subject: Re: hard drive replacement questions
>

>I have a question. did you  crash when doing a upgrade in arch linux?
>thanks Lee

No.  It just wouldn't boot into arch one day.  I hadn't run packman or anything.  It turns out bad sectors developed on one of my archlinux partitians (I seperate the root and home onto seperate partitians).

>--Forwarded Message Attachment--
>From: tony at baechler.net
>To: blinux-list at redhat.com
>Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 19:07:07 -0700
>Subject: Re: hard drive replacement questions
>
>You're way overcomplicating things.  If your drive is called /dev/hda, it's
>IDE, but newer Linux kernels use the SATA syntax for all drives, so your
>drive is probably called /dev/sda on 2.6.26 and later.  However, there is a
>simple way to answer your questions:
 >
>hdparm -iI /dev/sda

I ran hdparm -iI /dev/sda.

I copied the model number (WDC WD600UE-22KVT0) into an internet search.  It looks like the WD600UE hard drive is IDE.

I'll have to reconsider my options.

Thanks for the help.