Virtual box question

Henry Yen blinux-mail at AegisInfoSys.com
Fri Jan 18 20:22:15 UTC 2013

Two approaches come to mind; there may be others.

1. Mount the virtual hard drive from either the host (this can be non-trivial
   depending on how the virtual drive is set up), or set up a separate
   virtual machine and get access to the target virtual drive either
   by temporarily detaching it from the original virtual machine, or via sharing
   (VirtualBox allows, under most circumstances, a virtual hard drive
   to be attached to more than one virtual machine). Either way, you will
   then have a controlled environment in which you would be able to mount
   the drive and modify any files (/etc/passwd, etc.) you desire.
2. Use a known security hole to gain access.  This is not necessarily as
   difficult as it might seem.

--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York