Resuming an nntp connection?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Jan 28 07:51:45 UTC 2013

You have a few issues here:

1. Giganews has such a huge number of articles that trn is locking up.  You
could try a different reader such as tin, slrn or Alpine.  I would suggest
slrn since it has a similar interface and feature set, but I've had good
luck with tin.

2. You could run your own local news server.  The advantage is faster access
since you're pulling articles locally.  You only have to pull the groups you
want, so you don't need a lot of disk space.  Since there is no nntp
connection needed by your reader, you shouldn't have any problems.  The
disadvantage is that you would need to either have your machine on all the
time and have the news server running in the background, you would need a
cron job, or you would have to manually pull articles before you start your
news reader.  Just point your reader at /var/spool/news instead of
news.giganews.com.  This is probably not a good solution if your groups have
lots of binaries.

3. You can go into the Giganews site and have it send less articles when you
connect.  This is a known problem with most news readers since newsgroups
can have a million articles in some cases.  I never had to make that change
on their site, but I have a small local news setup here and I pull articles
by hand periodically.

Finally, although unlikely, you could just need to wait longer.  It could be
that there are just too many articles for trn to process quickly, so maybe
let it sit there for a few hours.  I would try slrn instead since it's still
in development and I don't think trn is anymore.