2 telnet related questions?

Hart Larry chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Sat Jun 22 02:25:50 UTC 2013

Ok, I login to Shellworld from a Debian system with a 12MB  AT&T Uverse
connection.  Over the last couple of years I had to switch from ssh to telnet,
as for some reason, with Speakup, there is some sluggishness while cursoring.
But now even telnet has this behavior, while logging in another Linux machine
which has much better network conductivity, I have an easier time.  editing
without any lag.  On Shellworld I can hit backspace a number of times  and the
beeping is spiraticly sluggish.
So, first I wonder if there are either other telnet options I can try, or would
their be another protocol which may react faster?
Next, I notice while at a plain telnet prompt, unlike actually at a site, I
cannot use an up-arrow as it says a letter a or b.  I sure don't have this
issue in ncftp, history works normally.
Thanks so much in advance for suggestions
Hart