Raspberry Pie?

blinux.list at thechases.com blinux.list at thechases.com
Fri Mar 1 01:41:23 UTC 2013

On February 28, 2013, Rob Harris wrote:
> Any comments on the following,  accessibility for example?

I've got one of the new Model B Raspberry Pi units.  The "B" unit has
a jack for ethernet where the "A" model doesn't.  The new model has
512MB of RAM where the older model only had 256MB.  Otherwise, it
should be as accessible as any other Debian distribution.  You can
plug in a USB keyboard for input, and use either the audio-out jack (a
standard 3mm headphone jack) or you should be able to use USB output
(either a Braille terminal or if you have a USB synth).  You should
also be able to run brltty, yasr, emacspeak or go all the way up to X
and Orca.

The trickiest part is the actual initial install and setup to get to
that point.

There's a mailing-list for discussing Raspberry Pi and blind/VI
issues which I found at http://www.freelists.org/list/raspberry-vi
and just subscribed to.  I'd be glad to give things a whirl if you
want me to try stuff.

-tim