just how much can you do with?

Hart Larry chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Sat Mar 2 19:01:33 UTC 2013

Well Kyle, I think even for folks such as Karen-and-myself, moving from dos to
Linux, Linux man-pages are written in such  a way that not only listening with
speech, but without a tecnical background, they are hard to understand.
I did write Karen off list-and-suggest it would be instructive to show
side-by-side a DOS help with a Linux man-page of a similar command.  Maybe
somewhere there are more discriptive beginner man-pages which we could dropin
to a system, which would make learning easier.
As an example, here is a Debian man for ren "rename"
RENAME(1)                                     Perl Programmers Reference Guide
RENAME(1)

NAME
        rename - renames multiple files

SYNOPSIS
        rename [ -v ] [ -n ] [ -f ] perlexpr [ files ]

DESCRIPTION
        "rename" renames the filenames supplied according to the rule specified
as the first argument.  The perlexpr argument
        is a Perl expression which is expected to modify the $_ string in Perl
for at least some of the filenames specified.
        If a given filename is not modified by the expression, it will not be
renamed.  If no filenames are given on the
        command line, filenames will be read via standard input.

        For example, to rename all files matching "*.bak" to strip the
extension, you might say

                rename 's/\.bak$//' *.bak

        To translate uppercase names to lower, you'd use

                rename 'y/A-Z/a-z/' *

OPTIONS
        -v, --verbose
                Verbose: print names of files successfully renamed.

        -n, --no-act
                No Action: show what files would have been renamed.

        -f, --force
                Force: overwrite existing files.

ENVIRONMENT
        No environment variables are used.

AUTHOR
        Larry Wall

SEE ALSO
        mv(1), perl(1)

DIAGNOSTICS
        If you give an invalid Perl expression you'll get a syntax error.

BUGS
        The original "rename" did not check for the existence of target
filenames, so had to be used with care.  I hope I've
        fixed that (Robin Barker).
  Back again live, Kyle, do you think some1 with little Linux experience,
wanting to learn, can make sense of that?
I tried going in DOSemu to find a similar help, but cannot get "help ren" to
work.  Thanks for listening
Hart